Thursday, November 23, 2017

LIGHTNING: THUNDER: IRONMAN

At various points in our lives, we just need a song, or a song makes its presence to speak to where we are. The past few weeks I have been searching for that one song that would be THE song.  The song for my first epic go at a 70.3 Ironman (1.9km swim, 90km cycle and 21km run) all with just my ARMS!

THE song for what you might be thinking, THE song to seal the year off, THE song to seal all the long hours of training, THE song to remember when my body is screaming at me to stop, THE song when my mind is screaming at me to stop, it’s that one song, that will get me through my first 70.3 Ironman Triathlon on the 3rd December 2017.
What is THE song, I am sure you are all wondering by now, I will tell you below so keep reading!

Back in 2015, I did a radio interview where I was asked, “so what are your up and coming goals” without hesitation I answered “to compete in the New York City Triathlon and to work towards an Ironman”
Fast forward, in 2016 I took on the New York City Triathlon, and I am about to take on the biggest race of my life yet, a 70.3 Ironman, on the 3rd of December in Bussleton, Western Australia! check out race here: http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman-70.3/busselton.aspx#axzz4zEu6q8EA

There will also be live tracking on the day, you can just search my name on the day on the live tracking feed. 

I saw a quote the other day: “it’s about what you do daily – because it’s the anonymous micro actions undertaken regularly that dictate not just what you can achieve, but who you are as a human” Rich Roll
I know, that yes, I would love to finish this race, but the journey to get to this point has been all little micro actions I have had to undertake to get to the place where my “ARMS” can endure racing a total of 112.9km all within 8.5hours. The past year my arms are bigger, I have had to buy new shirts to fit these arms into and I can only trust that all the hard training will pay off, because its all about the journey.
           

It is also no coincidence that the race falls on 3rd of December, which is International Day of Persons with Disabilities.  It aims to promote the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities in all spheres of society and development, and to increase awareness of the situation of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life.
Nelson Mandela once quoted: “Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair. It is more powerful than government in breaking down racial barriers”
I know for me personally sport has created hope where once there was only despair! And for me I hope that everyone watching and following this journey, you will see how sports has the power to action a change in somenone with a disability, and tear down barriers that only we as humans build up!
Ok so back to THE song, THE theme song is…… THUNDER by Imagine Dragons, you have to listen to it, to get the feel…so here is a link, play the song and re read this email, I know for sure you will see why it fits in so well for my epic journey going from LIGHTNING to THUNDER to IRONMAN

And a HUGE THANK YOU to my organisation CBM for supporting me through this journey!

    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment