Thursday, June 20, 2013

Baby steps, 30seconds faster closer to a dream

There are times in life when we feel we work so hard at stuff but never see results no matter how small and in that moment we can either decide to give up or keep going. Let me give a small story to encourage you to keep going no matter what.

If you are reading this you will know I am training for a triathlon, you might also know that this comes with just slightly more effort because of my disability and yes many a times I get very frustrated with my body and would like to just take the dream of competing in a triathlon and put it back on the shelf. Yet if you do know me personally you would know that I have three words that stand out in my life. HOPE, COURAGE and DETERMINATION.

I had my weekly gym session with Greg yesterday. Two little things we both were amazed at were my walking speed had increased and one of the core exercises we have been doing for ever suddenly took on a different form. Now how did that happen?

There is a 140metre track at the gym so two weeks ago it took me 3minutes to get round, yesterday 2,30 minutes to get round, Greg found that my steps had become shorter which in turn increased my stability to walk faster. Usually I would take long/wide steps but somewhere in the past two weeks this changed. (No idea this happens but Greg noticed).

We usually do a lot of core body stuff, and the one is lie on my back and then lift my legs towards my stomach and hold there for 30 seconds. (try it and you will see what I am talking about). We have done this a lot and in general it is a mission and my legs are unstable sway from side and don’t want to stay up etc. Anyway yesterday we did it and was like nothing ever before, the legs came up they stayed put and Greg and I were in shock J J, so we did the exercise again and once again, the legs came up  and stayed put. At times I wish I could take pictures of our faces when little things like this happen because they would be absolutely memorable.

You see small little things like this are very encouraging for me and Greg because it means something is working in what we are all together doing.
It means one more baby step closer to the dream, that baby step is closer than the day before, and that’s my point you will always be one baby step closer to your dream than the day before do not dismiss the baby step no matter how small. Those changes we saw yesterday have encourage me to keep working towards my goal.

106 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment