Sunday, June 2, 2013

“You can’t put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get.” Michael Phelps

It’s the 2nd of June, 124 days to go, a new month and a lot of training coming up.
I took the day off today from training, some days I just need to be able to do that and listen to my body at times.  

Yet there are times where I will try talk myself out of exercise and recognise that this “talking” is just an excuse for not doing something I have committed to. What I have learnt is to recognise the good from the bad J and go to train whether I feel like it or not.

Most people don’t feel like going to gym or training, it does take a lot of effort, and no matter how many motivating words we speak to ourselves in the end the decisions becomes very clear.......I will go tomorrow.....tomorrow never comes.

Motivation does not create action, action creates motivation. When I walk out of the gym after a training session or get out of the pool, I always feel great and ready to come back and do it again.

I can make and do make many excuses or as a friend of mine equates it to at times “trash talking”, but I still go to train no matter what I feel like or say to myself that is not healthy. For instance:
-          I am disabled, I just can’t do this, and what difference does it make
-          My legs just don’t want to work today, maybe they will tomorrow. But wait tomorrow won’t come.
-          My goal in the reality of my world seems so unrealistic and impossible, so just forget about it.

Then I take a quick stock of my dream and goal and realise its time to stop talking and go train because at this stage:
-          My disability is there so let’s use this opportunity for something good
-          Reality is my legs generally don’t feel like working and at times feel like I have 10 bricks on my feet, but I know that when I go workout it does seem to take off a few bricks, even if it’s just for a few minutes.
-          The goal is only impossible if I turn around and walk away, the only turning I will be doing is the bicycle peddles towards the impossible.”


Tomorrow morning 5am we are going swimming, good thing it’s indoors because Cape Town is proving that its winter, and storms/rain and cold is what winter is all about. And as Dory from finding Nemo would put it...just keep swimming, swimming swimming, just keep swimming, swimming swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment