Thursday, June 6, 2013

Mid Mar Mile and nearly half way back
4th June 2013

That’s what I swam today, 2.6km, and as Luke said ‘I am just throwing you in the deep end, you will soon catch on and up.’ and then he continues “so next set please swim 4 sets of 400m with 15 seconds break in between each set”

My mind still thinks in lengths of the pool, so I was trying to figure out how many lengths that is, he obviously picked this up on my face and said “that’s 16 lengths per set, so by the time you have done the 4 sets of 400 you would have swam your mid mar mile so better get going”

One thing I did not say in the beginning before this set I had already swam 600 meter warm up and 200 meter technical stroke stuff, but it’s all good and enjoying it so off I went.........because this is what it’s about, going further than before.1600 meters later, 4 sets x 400 meters and my arms are burning. I rest for a few seconds. Luke says “well done, now do 200 meters cool down and you are done for today”

I pull myself out the pool, there are no stairs, so I act like a beached whale first then turn around and push myself up and there we go, standing out the pool. I dry off put jacket on, go out into the freezing cold to drive home, jump in shower, get in car drive to work and realise I have been awake for 3h30 hours I have swam 2,6km and its only 8am.I remind myself this is all worth it and having the opportunity to pursue a dream of being an athlete is and will come to life.

I know and realise that pursuing a dream comes with hard work, courage, determination and a tenacity that no matter what is going on around me, inside me and my body I need to keep on keeping on, and soon we will be doing mid mar mile twice in one morning!

Always remember, whatever the goal--keep your eye on it

1 comment:

  1. I am ashamed!! I am still drinking my coffee in bed while you've swum Midmar before 8am!! yikes. I am truly speechless Cathy, you will fulfil that dream not because it is easy but because you have the discipline. You remind me of my favourite poem. I learned it when I was 8 years old and it touched me very profoundly and has always been in my mind. Here it is (my family are sick of hearing me quote it!!)

    The Victor
    by: C. W. Longenecker

    If you think you are beaten, you are.
    If you think you dare not, you don't.
    If you like to win but think you can't,
    It's almost a cinch you won't.
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost.
    For out in the world we find
    Success begins with a fellow's will.
    It's all in the state of mind.
    If you think you are out classed, you are.
    You've got to think high to rise.
    You've got to be sure of your-self before
    You can ever win the prize.
    Life's battles don't always go
    To the stronger or faster man.
    But sooner or later, the man who wins
    Is the man who thinks he can.

    ReplyDelete